A few days ago, Sera told me something which left me full of admiration for Hwa Chong guys. Well, not in general, but more specifically her few friends. She was eating dinner at coro that evening with some of her choir seniors and in that shop, there was this group of 'gangsters' with a jc student (her bf was one of them). Happens that one of her friend tried to sit down on the chair but im not sure what happened and the whole chair toppled backwards and he fell with it. Ouch. Needless to say, he was super embarrassed as everyone was staring at him and my sis and frens were laughing (in the harmless way). Then, this group of gangsters started guffawing, esp this indian guy who was really exaggerated in his laughter. It was conspicuously loud and he was pointing at the fallen guy and laughing really hard. My sister's group immediately stopped short in their speech/laughing and fell uncomfortably silent. I mean how rude can people get, esp when they dont even know each other. (And they wonder why people are racist).
As I was listening to my sis, I was feeling indignant on the poor guy's behalf so I made a few remarks about being sarcastic to that group of gangsters. Apparently, my baby sister was really pissed at that guy and she was feeling offended on her friend's behalf. So she glared at them but refrained from saying anything. Her few guy seniors ignored that group and they finished up their food and one of them asked in a calm, nothing-big-has-happened tone if they would like to go. So they left the shop and once outside, none of them made any references to the bawdy group nor the incident. So I was asking her why didnt the guys do anything to help defend their friend, i mean, they should have said or done something to show their displeasure instead of pretending that nothing had happened.
And she said that she realised how cultured hwa chong guys can be. They werent being cowards by not speaking up for their friend nor were they afraid of the gangsters. She knew that the guys were also looking out for the girls (there were 4 of them girls then) and they didnt want to invite any trouble. Furthermore, why should they stoop to their level and argue like a bunch of fools. Typically, some of us would be pissed and let our emotions cloud our rationality and tried to get back at them, feeling better that we did something to salvage our pride and face. Its true, but only in certain scenarios when we fight for our rights.
They say the school you go to help to mould the kind of person you grow up to be. How true. You see gangsters fighting over the smallest reason, you see petty people feeling slighted over the simplest and usually insignificant things. Why resort to these to show how tough or cool they can be? Why are we being so narrow-minded and narrow-hearted? We focus too much on small acts of revenge when we could have spend more energy and time thinking about better and happier stuff. Trouble is, we let small matters weigh us down. After hearing my sis's account of what happened, my paradigm shifted and I understood why they did what they did. Some guys would control their anger and started scolding the gangsters (eg. F them la. wah lao, I really feel like confronting them lor just that they got more people. Feeling damn buay song now la. If I ever see them again, I make sure they kena from me ah) the moment they are away from sight (I admit there are times when im like that too). But her seniors are brought up better and they choose not to dwell on events that are childish and insignficant. What's the point anyway.
I realised that by ignoring the gang, they are not acknowledging the fact of their friend's embarrassment and the ones who end up looking like a fool are the ones who laughed the loudest. The cultured ones handle situations in a more tactical way, because they have better things to do than to get worked up over something that aint worth it.
As my friend put in his msn nick: Never argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience. (I like this phrase! Haha)
Im so inspired by them now and Im gonna try to be a better person, more refined and cultured. Though its true that a leopard never change its spots, i will at least try to reduce them. =p
As I was listening to my sis, I was feeling indignant on the poor guy's behalf so I made a few remarks about being sarcastic to that group of gangsters. Apparently, my baby sister was really pissed at that guy and she was feeling offended on her friend's behalf. So she glared at them but refrained from saying anything. Her few guy seniors ignored that group and they finished up their food and one of them asked in a calm, nothing-big-has-happened tone if they would like to go. So they left the shop and once outside, none of them made any references to the bawdy group nor the incident. So I was asking her why didnt the guys do anything to help defend their friend, i mean, they should have said or done something to show their displeasure instead of pretending that nothing had happened.
And she said that she realised how cultured hwa chong guys can be. They werent being cowards by not speaking up for their friend nor were they afraid of the gangsters. She knew that the guys were also looking out for the girls (there were 4 of them girls then) and they didnt want to invite any trouble. Furthermore, why should they stoop to their level and argue like a bunch of fools. Typically, some of us would be pissed and let our emotions cloud our rationality and tried to get back at them, feeling better that we did something to salvage our pride and face. Its true, but only in certain scenarios when we fight for our rights.
They say the school you go to help to mould the kind of person you grow up to be. How true. You see gangsters fighting over the smallest reason, you see petty people feeling slighted over the simplest and usually insignificant things. Why resort to these to show how tough or cool they can be? Why are we being so narrow-minded and narrow-hearted? We focus too much on small acts of revenge when we could have spend more energy and time thinking about better and happier stuff. Trouble is, we let small matters weigh us down. After hearing my sis's account of what happened, my paradigm shifted and I understood why they did what they did. Some guys would control their anger and started scolding the gangsters (eg. F them la. wah lao, I really feel like confronting them lor just that they got more people. Feeling damn buay song now la. If I ever see them again, I make sure they kena from me ah) the moment they are away from sight (I admit there are times when im like that too). But her seniors are brought up better and they choose not to dwell on events that are childish and insignficant. What's the point anyway.
I realised that by ignoring the gang, they are not acknowledging the fact of their friend's embarrassment and the ones who end up looking like a fool are the ones who laughed the loudest. The cultured ones handle situations in a more tactical way, because they have better things to do than to get worked up over something that aint worth it.
As my friend put in his msn nick: Never argue with idiots, they will bring you down to their level and beat you with their experience. (I like this phrase! Haha)
Im so inspired by them now and Im gonna try to be a better person, more refined and cultured. Though its true that a leopard never change its spots, i will at least try to reduce them. =p

1 Comments:
At 8:32 PM,
Anonymous said…
I guess if such a situation were to happen when we're around, our reaction would be similiar. well, I needa reduce my spots too.Haha but that's just NOT me. =)
Post a Comment
<< Home